Bhimavaram is also called the "Second Bardoli of India". Mahatma Gandhi coined the name when he visited the town during the freedommovement in India. It is one of the Pancharamas(Somaramam) in AP state, as it has Someswara Swami temple.Statewide popular " Mavullamma temple " is located in the middle of the town. It is also known for its statewide renowned educational institutes like Sri Vishnu Educational institutions,
and famous hospitals.It is the Aqua capital of the coastal area.Bhimavaram Town is a shopping hub in the district for products like Jewellary , Cloth, seafood, electronics, etc.
Along with much of present-day Andhra Pradesh, Bhimavaram was controlled by the Chola Empire. Under Kulothunga Chola I, Bhimavaram was ruled by his sons who served as viceroys. Various stone inscriptions have been found in the city dating from his reign (c. 1096 C.E.). Bhimavaram was the site of several protests during the Salt Satyagraha Movement. It played a major role in the freedommovement,
during the rule of British empire in India. The taluka office in the bhimavaram is a witness of freedom movement since 1887. The famous freedom fighter Alluri Sita Rama Raju belongs to Mogallu, a nearby village. Potti Sriramulu started the movement to separate the Andhra State from the Madras Presidency.
Bhimavaram is located 384 km from Hyderabad by road and 430 km by train , 270 km from Visakhapatnam and 103 km from Vijayawada. National Highway NH 214 (Kathipudi to Pamarru) passes through this town.State Highway towards Juvvalapalem is from this town.
Bhimavaram,a notable place for many wealthy individuals and serves as a centre of trade for 300 surrounding villages and is one of the important commercial towns in the West Godavari District. Theatres and other commercial centers are the major entertainment and shopping locations for the people who live in the nearby villages. A Multiplex is under construction located close to the town Railway station. Major sources of income are through farm fields, real estate, sales, education, etc.
Bhimavaram is an important commercial centre in the West Godavari District. It is connected to all the nearby rural villages with a convenient road transportation. It is located 455 km from Hyderabad, 270 km from Visakhapatnam and 103 km from Vijayawada. National Highway NH 214 (Kathipudi to Pamarru) passes through this town. Buses to this town are operated by Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation and private operators. Most frequent long distant bus services are usually ran in-between Bhimavaram and Hyderabad, Chennai, Vizag, Bangalore, Eluru & Vijayawada.
The Narsapur-Nidadavollu and Narsapur-Vijayawada are few notable rail lines that passes through Bhimavaram. The town is well connected to different places around it with a convenient bus service to two bus stands (Old Bus Stand in Two Town area and New Bus Stand in One Town area) and train routes to two railway stations(Town Railway Station in Two Town area and Junction Railway Station in One Town area). Buses, autos, taxis and rickshaws are the means of transport to travel within the town. Nearest domestic airport to Bhimavaram is in Vijayawada/Rajahmundry. Whereas, nearest International airports to Bhimavaram are Hyderabad and Chennai.
According to the 2001 Indian census, Bhimavaram has a population of 142,064 with 32,685 households. 71,929 are male and 70,135 are female.
Some famous temples located here are:
- Gunupudi Sri Uma Someshwara Janardhana Swamy Temple - One of the five Pancharamas. Built during the 3rd century A.D., the Shivalinga in the temple is believed to assume a black-cum-brown colour on no-moon day and becomes whitish on full-moon day. The prathista of the Shivalinga is by the Moon God.
- Sri Mavullamma Temple - Mavullamma's (Goddess of Bhimavaram) Festival starts on 14 January of every year and runs for 30 days.
- Sri Bhimeshwara Swamy Temple - The name of the Bhimavaram town is derived from it.
- Sri Aadhi Lakshmi Ammavaru Temple - The village deity of Gunupudi.
- Sri Subrahmanyeswaraswamy Temple - The temple of Lord Subrahmanyeswara, Lord Siva and Lord Rama
- Sri Panchamukhi Anjaneya Swamy Temple located in Undi Road Near Railway gate
- Jain Temple - Located at Pedda Amiram.
- Sri Shakteswara Swamy temple - Located in Ennamadurru from 5 km to Bhimavaram.
- Sri Venkateswaraswamy temple Kallakuru, 10 km to Bvrm
- Sai Baba Swarnamandir located in Pedda Amiram
- Ayyappa Swamy temple - Located near adda vanthena, Bhimavaram-2.
- A Mosque Sunni Jamia mosque - located at the center of Bhimavaram....another 9 Mosque's are located in various parts of bhimavaram...
- Transfiguration Church